The best way to avoid or reduce overdraft and returned-check fees is to manage your account so you don't overdraw it. Here are some tips to help you:
- Keep track of how much money you have in your checking account by keeping your account register up-to-date. Record all checks when you write them. And don't forget to subtract any fees such as monthly service charges or check orders.
- Pay special attention to your electronic transactions. Immediately record your ATM withdrawals and any fees, debit card purchases, and online payments.
- Don't forget about automatic bill payments you may have set up.
- Keep an eye on your account balance. Remember that some checks and automatic payments may not have cleared yet.
- Review your account statements each month. Between statements, you can find out which payments have cleared and check your balance by using Banking Online, calling First Tennessee or at an ATM.
- Sign up for an overdraft protection plan from First Tennessee.
For additional information on service fees that may apply to your account, please visit our Account and Service Fee Summary page.